Saturday, April 17, 2010

Poem for Saturday, April 17, 2010


Said Idi


in a country
where the price of a chicken
surpassed the price
of a human being, an ogreish
child addressed the Ugandans:

I may wear a general's uniform,

said Idi,
in English tongue, English medals,

but I am the same as you,

said Idi,
in African accent, African heart

the Ugandans cheered
in Ateso, chanted in Lusoga,
lifted their staffs
to the sun and silenced again
for the general's words:

Obote and his men have left,

said Idi,
on the cusp of celebration,

so we can now live in peace,

said Idi,
hands clean of blood at the time

but as time consumed
the next ten years, hundreds of
thousands were fed
to crocodiles while chickens
pecked at the dirt

the Ugandans bled
because the child was afraid
there were monsters
hiding
in his palatial closets:

I know when I will die,

said Idi,
breathing heavy and still,

I saw this in a dream,

said Idi,
a visionary among everything else,

but they are trying to kill me,

screamed Idi,

they are trying to kill me!

1 comment:

  1. i have no fucking clue what this is about. but i kind of like it like that.

    you'll have to explain it to me sometime. (that is, i miss you, bro, come back.)

    ReplyDelete