Monday, September 3, 2012

Poem for Monday, September 3, 2012


Some Kind of Rebirth

i. when the pine needles,

   dampened with moon sweat, stabbed me benevolently
   i took them with my skin. when i rolled over, i gave them
   to you, gift-wrapped.

ii. arkansas summers,

    they let you breathe once in awhile if you catch them
    in an easy mood. my breath was infrequent. my lips
    were spiced rum.

iii. if there had been stars,

    i would have picked venus from them and placed her
    in your hair. you could not have crushed my chest
    if you tried.

iv. arkansas nights,

     those dark, humid paradoxes. they give you rashes
     but keep your secrets. they gamble with the hills
     for your memories.

v. thirsty and dirt-kissed,

    that is how we arose. like some kind of rebirth
    achieved through non-death, spelled out in the sap
    stuck to our backs.

vi. thirsty and dirt-kissed,

     you separated me from the sky. i will never forget
     how i closed my eyes, despite the darkness. how you
     did the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment