Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Poem for Tuesday, December 8, 2009 (II)


Tonight, I Move Mountains

In my my southern dreams, there are
mountains that defy God, festooned
with kudzu and scuppernong.
Naked little cherubs float above, squeeze
the vines, and a river of juice
flows beneath my fair-haired legs:

sustenance for my odyssey.

I will follow the ungulate footprints
embedded in the fertile delta and smell
them to determine how alone
I really am.

I will follow the ungulate droppings
and race the scheming sky--a dying
candle, indigo now but darkening.
It can kill baby pilgrims like me:

stopping my molecules with cold
or simply breaking my bones.

I will drink the juice and listen
as bird chirps and leafy wisps
become rhythmic jazz in my mind.
My steps will match the blown
brass and tickled octaves.

I will pass bone-weary prophets
who lie beneath fruitless trees like
squished maggots.
They all smoke cigarettes and
get drunk off sour moonshine:

the moon will shine at night, and
the moon will melt by morning.

I will trudge on for them, for
me, for every sentient soul
once good.

In my southern dreams, the vines
are electro-slippery, judas to my grip.
The rocks will succumb to gravity
faster than gunshots.
The cherubs become sirens, summon
harpies with lugubrious shrills:

Awwwwwwwweeeeeeeeee!
Wyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeee?

But, I will drink the juice, and
I will sweat with fire, fear
seeping out of my pores.
I will sing my own songs, my
jazz, and I will not be afraid
to fall beneath the earth.

I was once good, and
I will move mountains

tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment