Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Poem for Tuesday, January 12, 2010


That Trivial Moment

From my window I oversaw
your three a.m. departure
green lungs and muscles
stiffened by precipitation
my friend. You
got into your car
got back out again
clasped your hands
and began to work.

I could not see your breath
you were a cream silhouette
against a night of blackened
bitter
coffee.
I could not see the cold
diffusing through your milky bones
because no one can see
what they fear.

You scrubbed your windshield
fist tucked in peacoat sleeve
shaved off the ice
like two-week stubble.
It parachuted
over your tundra hood
down past your door and
I swear I thought
a second snow had come.

That trivial moment
is pasted in my timeline
between my first words and my
impending
heart attack.
That trivial moment
I beheld with eyes
blue as your circulation
crushed by sleep's anvils.

I finally closed them.

1 comment: