Monday, July 27, 2009

Poem for Monday, July 27, 2009


Ali's Teapots

number at
4,000
and are made of the
absolutefinestsilver
in the eastern (& perhaps
           western) world

his own son told me
so I know it's so

the glimmering tea-
pots are worth
100,000 riyals (or
60,000 dollars) and
some are over
           a hundred years old

his own son told me
incredible, I know
                            but

what makes them
immaculate is
what's in their
            reflection:

the American
the Arabian
sitting on a couch
laughing as they mis-
pronounce words in each 
others' languages
               and

above that, a
ubiquitous light caught
in a glare      (from the
                       heaven
                       they both
believe in)

3 comments:

  1. this is beautiful, andrew.

    i admire you for tutoring, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have read this while you were standing in the same room as me so I could have shaken your hand. This IS beautiful.

    ReplyDelete