Saturday, July 11, 2009

Poem for Saturday, July 11, 2009


Four Walls

My childhood, I
came home to
discover, was
reduced to
four walls.

For eighteen
years, I slept,
played, laughed,
cried, read,
masturbated,
dreamt, and
grew in this room.

(Pale blue paint,
dirty carpet.)

All the holes
in the walls were
patched up, and
all my posters,
certificates, and
decorations were
in boxes.

(Popcorn ceiling,
smudged window.)

The dark oak
dresser, the desk,
and the bookshelf
were in transition;
the bed
temporarily neglected
in the garage.

I just stood,
examined the room
for ten minutes; I
looked everywhere
and saw myself
doing something
there years ago.

(Everything was gone.
Everything changed).

But not
anymore--the
room, the four
walls--were naked,
just as I had been 
many times within 
them before.

2 comments:

  1. what was that quote from garden state?

    something about that moment when your ideal home disappears. when the place you lived and loved, etc., is suddenly gone like leaves in autumn wind.

    something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this

    (i've been writing just no computer to post it.)

    ReplyDelete