Friday, November 27, 2009

Poem for November 27, 2009


Eid al-Adha

We sat down on the ground like brothers and ate with
our hands. Lamb shanks gnashed between ivory
teeth. Rice from a single plate scooped
up, squeezed in brown, yellow, and white hands.
Fruit for understanding.

We saw the world in that small room.
Arabic, Kazakh, English, and other languages
reverberated above our makeshift tablecloth--
a thin sheet of plastic.

"You like?" Mansour asked, mid-meal.
"Oh, very good," I said, smiling.

We sat down like brothers and appreciated a
sacrifice. How God, Allah provided
for Abraham's hungry children:
pilgrims, Indians, and Arabs alike.

Memo and Hussain offered me a fork, but I
graciously placed it beside me.
I chose to not be an American

but simply a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment