Friday, September 25, 2009

Poem for Friday, September 15, 2009


That is Heart

A man's nerves pulsate the most
    in between the rings of a phone call

I am that man, and I am
pulsating

              unprecedented palpitations

I don't even think it's my heart or
my being, my, my
       I
       have become one with all of nature
       when I think about you
       we think about you

I am calling you, pulsating
(bum-bum-bum-bumpppp)

The birds join in the cadence, flapping
     multicolored wings against sound waves
     forming kaleidoscopes
The trees, monocots and dicots, open
     up their leaves to you in the dead winter
     (if they have no leaves, they grow green ones)
The wind, blown from the lungs of ancient
      deities, scatters your name among the nations
      in a breathy, glottalized fashion
The animals tear
                            each others' flesh

myself included--I am an animal, tearing flesh, waiting
in between the rings of a phone call, and if
if if
    you answer, I'll explode, a bloody supernova,

and you'll mistake me for a red comet
and you'll say that I am a spectacle
                                             if nothing else

No comments:

Post a Comment