Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Poem for Tuesday, September 22, 2009


Yemeni Death Beach

    walking parallel to the brine
    the sand is infecting a cut in my foot
    part sediment, part pulverized bone and flesh

 eroding, withering
                                slowly
    I think
    Jesus, I've never seen a dead body before and
keep walking, the Indian
Ocean is majestic and the air is dense with
dead fish and summer warmth

   jogging now, half expecting to meet
an open-armed goddess in translucent white when
   more       bones

   this one was a little boy; I gently take the beaded
   necklace from his skull, put it on, and keep
going
         (I must keep going)

the blood on my foot
is either mine or theirs, I'm scared
    but the waves, the waves calm me down
    speak to me in rippling meters, tell
me to forget what I am seeing
                                                they say

it's a dreammmmmm
       my beach is gorgeous and innocent
              people are only good to one anotherrrrr

but what they mean is clandestine
buried, buried in the brine
     among the bones, the blood, the foreign
     languages that will never be intelligible, bottled

up with a model ship and last breaths
      floating
                  towards
                               the east, where I'm told the sun rises


No comments:

Post a Comment