Monday, September 14, 2009

Poem for Tuesday, September 15, 2009


God Wears a Cardigan

From a mahogany desk in heaven, God
      spins the earth (a quaint bookend/paperweight);

      his finger

lands on fall. While people are worrying
about how they will eat and
what books they must read, I am only
      concerned about finding
      the ideal cardigan:
 
      six buttons, cotton or wool, a color
      that accentuates my Anglo features
      (in case you're wondering).

Something that disappears in a
maelstrom of leaves. I want to be
       naked like birth.

Because
   I plan on sitting on my porch,
   calm and crapulent,
   contemplative and brain dead.

I don't want to look uncouth 
in the process.

Back in heaven, God wears
   a cardigan, too--
   the last three buttons undone on Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment