Friday, February 5, 2010

Poem for Friday, February 5, 2010


3 Insignificants of Yesterday

I. Trip to Wal-Mart

Grocery carts &
fruit baskets
chock-full of
junk food, iPods
fried chicken &
despair;
I need a
trash can, some
dishwashing
detergent, a
lobotomy.

II. Trip to Extreme Fitness

After 10 minutes on the treadmill, I turn around and look for guys
around my size: none. I don't think they take steroids, but I think
they pull buses w/ protein-stained teeth. Time to define my chest:
set the machine to 100 lbs., contract like a motherfucker, keep up w/
hip-hop music. The smell of metal & sweat along w/ my grunting
ignites the apocalypse.

III. Trip to Arvest Bank

My brother drove me &
he parked close, but
it's still cold & wet (pneumonia
falling from gray skies). The teller's a nice
lady because she has to be.
Most people would get sick if the air
was thick
w/ over-buttered popcorn and dingy dollar bills.
Personally, I can't breathe in anything else.
Successful deposit!

2 comments:

  1. I like how you changed form for each trip. I might have to mimic this, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I'm thinking when I go workout.

    I like this one. I find it very clever how you make your simple day into a very weird 3 part poem.

    ReplyDelete