Sunday, February 21, 2010

Poem for Sunday, February 21, 2010


My First Heartbreak: A Rhetorical Analysis

okay, so I was born

how did my parents choose my name?
when the Chinese doctor won the tug-of-
war with my mother's womb
they saw me for the first time

a crying ball of flesh and natal juices
glowing orb-like under fluorescent lights

did my father proclaim, "Yep, he's an Andrew, alright"?

not long after, I was thirteen

a couth brunette with a Yankee accent
broke my heart and didn't even know it
when she got with this spiky-haired
kid who took ritalin

I sat in a lawn chair beneath the pines
for forty-five minutes in disbelief

do all Andrews cope this way?
would an oak have provided greater fortitude?

and here I am now

Andrew (who?)
heart-mended (huh?)
no trees (if a tree fell in a forest and no one was around...)

strides past thirteen
still in disbelief (how could she?)

No comments:

Post a Comment