Monday, February 1, 2010

Poem for Monday, February 1, 2010


The Rice Silos

Once a month or so, I drive past some
rice silos in the distant tawny fields
of a speed-trap town.

In those fleeting seconds, 58 mph to
be exact, I examine those silos
like the scientist I am not.

Some things I pinpoint:

the grooves in the giant tin cylinder tops
tetanal rust forming at said grooves' edges
bird-shit stains that remain until it rains
the vast shadows darkening the backs of cows

Some things I wonder:

how tall and how stable are those silos
what is the volume of the giant tin cylinders
how many pounds of Arkansan rice can they hold
should I become a humble, tan-lined farmer

Sometimes, I see a farmer bent down
working while the torrid sun scorches
his calloused back.

I want to ask him how it feels to have
his four children's futures depend
on plentiful rainfall.

I want to ask him how it feels to curse
and slay the same animals he loves
to feed the world;

and before I know it, my seconds are up

I speed away, sifting through the radio
stations as I approach a long stretch
of Baptist churches.

2 comments:

  1. i love this.
    especially the ending.
    i think i might write a poem in a similar vein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "bird-shit stains that remain until it rains
    the vast shadows darkening the backs of cows"

    I like that.

    This poem is better than anything, bro.

    ReplyDelete