Monday, August 31, 2009

Poem for Monday, August 31, 2009


Coming Down (continued)

VII.

My Stoic grandmother wants to attend a Cherokee
powwow with me, and I would love to
take her. I will even buy her
turquoise jewelry and not reprimand her for
                being (slightly) ethnocentric.

I love you, Stoic grandmother.

I am part Cherokee. You are part Cherokee (I'd like
to believe you are, anyway). It's all about the
plight.

To my right is a photograph of my weeping father and
my beloved mother circa 1979; they are standing,
arm in arm, in my Stoic grandmother's front yard.
         Father is wearing a gold blazer and a patriotic tie.
         Mother is wearing a white lace dress.
They created me!

The past is a delicate thing; not just my past, but 
all of our pasts. Think about it:

in ????, the world came to be
in 1776, America came to be
in 1963, America's son died
and that's all most remember.

I purchased a 2 liter Coca Cola at a gas station,
and I lost it somewhere from there to my home, and
       I am terribly upset with myself.

        I am terribly upset with myself--that's
how I have felt mostly.

In a town called Wye, we walked through
a field of daffodils and perused through
a tin arts-and-crafts barn with wooden ornaments
and relics of the south.

Manly brother--you and I would cross the
boundaries of the daffodil fields and look for 
snakes in derelict bluebird boxes. We never found any,
             although we were adventurous enough. I came
to the edge of the woods with rotting oak and pine,
             and I felt at home. We felt at home.

Sometimes, when we were at home, we would look
        up at the sky at night, and I would tell you where
Venus was in relation to the moon, the universe, and us.
We both knew that it's simply a sulfuric acid-strewn
        planet with a touch of Greek goddess prestige, but
I always wanted to go there (did you?).

I always wanted to be an astronaut, but I was never
smart enough, and I was never disciplined enough,
and I was never, I was never, I was never.

How sad it is.
Our childhood innocence is not lost all at once
but gradually. We accept what we can do/cannot do,
        what we should pursue/should not pursue.
The poster of the water cycle in my tenth grade biology
class told me two things:
                                           where water went, and
                                           that I wasn't meant to be a
                                           scientist.

If you tell me I'm not meant to be a writer,
then I'll have nothing left.

Don't tell me that.
Don't tell me.
Don't tell me.
Don't.

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment