Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Poem for Tuesday, August 18, 2009


Coming Down (continued)

III.

It's time to just sit. 

So, I, we, sit and in my
       finite mind I attempt to enumerate my thoughts
to no avail. Tonight, I sit with you, dear friend,
at the bottom of suicidal steps in the dark. The
water roars from the east, blocked by the dam, and
we compare it to magma, questioning its
                    state of matter. What is our state of matter?

Do we matter?

        And I tune out the abstract/philosophical bullshit right
there. Religion and love. Faith and concepts.
                     There are six fluorescent lights across the water,
their photons skimming across the ripples, and you compare
them to a famous painting with six asymmetrical persimmons
and then talk of Daoism. Or Buddhism.

         We-are-what-we-make-of-it-ism. That is my RELIGION.
I am reminded of you, Lady Pontellier, contemplating
walking right into the water and dying jovially, but I
          could never bring myself to do that. I have no courage!

Sitting on the steps and gazing at the seemingly futile tributary that
is only lit by six persimmon lights and the fluttering lunar
penumbra (the moon! the moon! never forget it), and I know the earth
is moist from inconsistent rain, embedded with the
marks of ungulates and mosquito droppings.
                        And the troublesome tree to the west puts on many
facades--a dog, a pirate skull, death smiling with dichotomous leaves.

           Two planes take a low flight behind us, blue lights. Blue lights
across the water. Why blue lights? The universe, shapeshifting as
it may seem, must always revert back to a primary color. That

is
all
I have learned in my two decades of breathing.

             But you, friend, half bred of the Orient, are even older
than I! I have corrupted you with nicotine and nostalgia,
and you have corrupted me with guilt from my own naivety!

REVELATION: though unadulterated love is our principal priority,
we are also here to corrupt each other.

And ashes to ashes, and dust to dust.

And I have not forgotten you, weeping father, beloved mother, Stoic grand-
mother, manly brother. I have not forgotten you.

Coming down again, my only hope is to reduce the universe to
matter, then atom, then ion, then quark, then -------! What else
can be salvaged under the humid Toadsuck sky?

(to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. "death smiling with dichotomous leaves"

    FUCK. I love this poem, these poems. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete