Saturday, August 29, 2009

Poem for Saturday, August, 29, 2009


Coming Down (continued)

VI.

There is a (one of many, actually) post-modern minstrel
who plays my favorite hymn. He uses the sacred, polished
        acoustic guitar of whoever/whatever created us all, and it's always
              flawless, and it's always cathartic, and did I just die?
                                                    No.

Listening deeper, I grow chary of things.
        One day long ago, I was walking around in an Indian
reservation, shards of pottery older than my nation itself beneath
my feet.
        Another day long ago, I was walking on the Golden Gate
Bridge--early August, cloudy, 70 degrees. I have never felt
more spiritual.
        Yet another day long ago, you, weeping father, wrote
me the most genuine letter I've ever come across, telling me
you loved me.

You see, I have felt alive!

        And this feeling has spoiled me, like an Epicurian with an eternal supply
of manna. Because I cannot always feel this way, because
I am something called human, I will be terribly, terribly
                   deprived during my last chemical exchange. It's poison, it's
a humble realization, but so be it.

I
 am
      ready.

I want to be honest with you, reader. With all of you, readers, about this:
        science textbooks tell us that we are nothing
more than 46 chromosomes intertwined, 70% water, unpredictable
genetic allelic entities that thrive on oxygen.
The reason why I hate science is because it says nothing about
        LOVE. The closest it gets is talking about erections, which
are only sometimes love, but not enough times.

Trajan's Column is erect. Big Ben is erect. I am not (until you're
        ready, girl on the concrete steps). And I could
talk forever about exquisite monuments, weeping father, beloved mother,
manly brother, and Stoic grandmother. But I won't.

A new planet was discovered; it will combust within a million
years because of its orbiting and its moons.
                                That is way too soon. That isn't soon enough.
Which
is it?
       And what planet can exist without love and erections?
       And what planet do I want to be on when the creator
realizes they made a costly mistake in letting humans interact?
       And what planet am I from?
       And have I even sprung from my beloved mother's womb?
       And have you?

Those shards of pottery on the Indian reservation--they meant
            the world to me.

(to be continued)




No comments:

Post a Comment