Monday, June 29, 2009

Poem for Monday, June 29, 2009


The Other Poets

When I gaze up I see the other
poets watching me between the
vaporous lining of clouds
              sitting on
thrones no beneath trees and
Dionysus gave them his
best wine (squeezed each
              grape with his hellenic fingers)

look in the corner over there:
Ginsberg and Kerouac are sauced
writing another song about
               pulling their daisies to the
beat-beat-beat of their bongos (Bukowski
watches them in his underwear with
               a cheap cigar, jealous)

Williams, Eliot, Plath and the like
are up there, too, waiting for
me challenging me even daring me
               (me, a random fart in
the universe)
to wad my brilliance into a ball
spit it at them through a straw
with beautiful velocity

"So, young poet, aspiring writer,
random fart in the universe, what
will you write about today?" they
               inquire in my day-
dreams (when I'm not dreaming
of rainbows or one-night stands)

"I don't know," I tell them
and I smoke a cigarette
and it's always good

1 comment: