Sunday, June 14, 2009

Poem for Sunday, June 14, 2009


Grandma's Plums

Shinnying up her tree
I asked, "Granny, will
you pick me a plum?"
I was five years old

(plums: such succulent fruit
               smooth amethyst spheres
               dangling like temptation)
  
I asked, "Granny, will
you--" and before I could
finish she had a plum
in her calloused palm

her wrinkled forehead and
emphysema screamed fatigue but
I was a little boy
I was always so hungry

the easiest to reach
housed a worm or were bruised
the hardest to reach
were blessed by God

(fifteen years later: no more plums
                                   sprout from
                                   the branches)

I asked, "Granny, what
happened to the plums?"
and she reminded me
that fruit spoils

3 comments:

  1. ah, i love the final lines. the irony is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. let's do it. get published i mean. this summer we submit.

    ReplyDelete